Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Thus Begins...

...a new schedule for me, Philip.   After a hectic June and July balancing 3 jobs including "Events Coordinator" at the OCP that stretched me in tremendous ways, my schedule tones down a bit starting this week.  Here's what my days will look like.

Monday--7:30-3:30 at VMM, 3:30-5:30 Driving for Herman Pullin, Home
Tuesday-7:30-3:30 at VMM, Home
Wednesday-9:30-5:30 babysitting Elliot and Vincent at our house on Honey Run
Thursday-7:30-3:30 at VMM, 3:30-5:30 Driving for Herman Pullin, Home
Friday-Off, study for our trip to Palestine/Israel, volunteer at OCP, possibly begin a youth outreach with my good friend Jason Wagner, etc.

I'm looking forward to this new pace.

Things you should know:
Betsy and I are beginning to plan more and more definitely to go to Nazareth Village for a year from Summer 2010 to Summer 2011.  The time and assignment seem to fit very closely with where and who we are right now.  Each week we would work 1/2 time at Nazareth Village, take classes through EMS, volunteer at other places in Nazareth, and study Arabic.  We feel like it is the perfect blend of service, preparation for a future mission assignment (probably among Muslims), and a great intermediate step before one or both of us jump into grad school full time.  Please pray for us as we continue discerning and asking God's guidance.  We definitely want to do it; but does God want us to do it?

I'm very excited about babysitting Elliot and Vincent starting tomorrow!  Sylvia's request for someone to take care of the boys came at the perfect time; I had just finished my assignments at OCP and was trying to decide what work I could do now (including several serious conversations about driving school bus for Harrisonburg City Schools :).  I'm excited about how the boys will bring out a creative side in me that is rarely used in my various other capacities, and I'm also excited about all that they will teach me.  What great preparation this will be for when Betsy and I are biological or adoptive parents sometime down the proverbial path of life (as we soar to new heights like Dietrich is)!  I'm not afraid about anything, just excited.

Looking forward to...

*Friday Betsy and I are going to camp at a beautiful place called Fort Valley, which is the valley behind the Massanutten Peak that goes all the way up to Front Royal.  
*Saturday we'll continue northward to Baltimore to spend two days with Melanie Heatwole and her fiance, Jake.
*The following weekend begins our true vacation at Rodanthe.  We've been yearning for a vacation after the craziness of the summer, so that week will be a wonderful rest!

Love to you all!

Philip

3 comments:

A said...

Wow! So excited about all the possibilities for you two. I'll be thinking of/praying for you both!

Anonymous said...

ditto! C1

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! It is exciting to hear about the possibilities for a time of study/work overseas. We will be praying as you make a decision. Philip, i know the boys will love having their uncle as a babysitter! You will be great! Love to you both! Carmen