Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Faces


Since arriving in Nazareth, we have been praying for connection. Many people have come and gone from our lives. Although, we have recently been missing old friends (this morning at breakfast we just had a great desire to hang out with you, Anita and David), we have been so blessed by many beautiful souls. Let me introduce you to a few:

Ben. Now gone to Spain, Ben volunteered at the FA for several months this Fall and became a dear brother and friend to us. Although he was busy taking LSATs and applying to law schools, we were able to share with him on a deep spiritual level, have long conversations, and even travel to the Golan with him. We miss him so much.

Nadeen. Philip has been very blessed by the unconditional acceptance, love, and joy given by a group of children who volunteer weekly at NV. Nadeen is a crazy, fun-loving girl who keeps life exciting. We are so blessed to be part of a little part of their community. Joy.

Miriam and Hinke. Miriam was a volunteer at NV for three months. She left a week ago, and we have not fully recovered yet. She was like a little sister to us. We traveled with her, walked her home at night, ate meals with her, commiserated about Village life together, prayed together, and cared for one another.
Hinke has lived in Nazareth for a couple years and we recently began a friendship with her. I, Betsy, have especially appreciated getting to know her as a dear friend, although both of us take some time to warm up to strangers! She has a wonderful, big house that she shares (we had our Christmas brunch at her house and she loves to share her stove with me!). On Monday evenings, Hinke has begun hosting a fellowship for all the random volunteers who come through the city. Philip often leads singing and I love to make soup (soup and bread in the style of Early Church). We do not have a traditional church community here but have been blessed by this simple, intimate time with God's people.


Sandra. Although we have not gotten to spend near enough time with Sandra, we have been blessed every time we do. She is a volunteer at FA and has worked hard as the rest of us have been in flux. She is a seeker, full of a desire for positive friends and experiences. Sandra has really taught me to think well of people and to be faithful even when situations are not ideal. She has withstood much with grace. I so appreciate her presence.


Haya is a friend from NV. She also guides sometimes at the Village, but her husband works at the Village. This past Sunday we were invited to lunch at their house. We enjoyed pasta and a special sauce, looking at wedding pictures, watching the cold rain come down outside, talking about their views on Arabs in Israel, and their backgrounds in being Baptist and Brethren, as well as their views on child-rearing (they have two little boys) and Arab hospitality.


Marwa. Many of you have heard me mention how much I like Marwa. She is a dear, smart, beautiful Muslim lady who works at FA. As I have conversation with her, go shopping with her, and (inshallah) visit her house for coffee this Thursday, I am challenged always to learn and love her. Her seeming dedication to God or religion, challenges me to daily seek God's truth for myself as well as for her.


This guy:) I love. I've been so blessed by Philip's continuing optimism and willingness to cheerfully give. I appreciate his hugs at the times when I feel most un-hug-able, and his jokes when I'm too serious. I love his passion for the local people, his drive to visit people in their homes and to really connect. I am often intimidated by language and a strange culture but Philip always seems to live freely and without fear. I am everyday thankful for Philip.


B

No comments: