Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Continuing


On our last full day in Turkey, we met up with my team leader, Kendra. Kendra had put up with so much from me on the first "long" exploratory and learning cross-cultural journey I took at 18. We had such fun exploring the mosque and eating my favorite Turkish foods, poagca and Iskender Kebap. Poagca are cheese filled nuggets of goodness that I make in the States. Iskender Kebap is buttery deliciousness that I cannot make to taste as it should. Layers of bread, tomato sauce, thin beef and lamb, yogurt and butter. Sounds disgusting? You are in for a treat. Philip agreed that our experiences with food only got better and better as the days went by.

Turkey was excitement at discovering a "familiar" language (and one we could actually sound out!), good, different food, encouraging conversation with J and C who live and work there, blessed times of seeing the day-to-day of Laura and her team, refreshing memories and comfortable talks with Kendra, a visit to a "real" family, a chance to see the country where we live through the lens of another culture.


Poagca and borek:
We are back safe and hit the ground running. Last night, I (B) was blessed by a lady we know a little calling me and wanting to bless me. She wanted to show me God's love and kept telling me how special I am and how God loves me. She took me to the mall and for ice cream, quite randomly, I thought, but also said I was much on her heart over the past month and she prayed for me a lot. She had given me roses the week before!

Today we worked with JT, helping to host a journalist and photographer from Backpacker Magazine which, if you run a hiking trail and like to bike and adventure, may have been your favorite magazine growing up (at least if you are Dave L.)! Philip and I took them on a tour around NV and found them very kind. They will be out on the JT for the next several days and a long article will appear in Backpacker next year.
As we flipped through the newest edition of Backpacker today, we realized there was a long article on Robert Russo! What a strange shock. He was a funky part of Early Church when he studied at EMS a year or two ago. The article talked about Evangelical Environmentalists. So crazy!

We are back to old rhythms: basketball this afternoon, baking biscuits, washing clothes, juggling people and plans, rejoicing in a gorgeous sun setting over the red tile roofs of an old city.

Love as always.
B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Want you to know that I LOVE your blog. It's a great way to feel connected with you and what you are doing. The pictures of you guys and Laura made me cry. I talked to Bethany this am about their trip to visit you and to catch up on what the Fisher younguns are doing. I hope to see pictures of Rob and Bethany posted next week! Have a wonderful visit. Love you, Aunt Paula