Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pictorial Ode to our Dearly Departed Kia Rio

So I'm staying up late tonight in honor of my dear friend who passed away a couple of weeks ago--my faithful little 2001 Kia Rio!  I bought the car in May 2006 (I think) for $1,500 with about 90,000 miles.  Not long after that the timing belt broke and I debated whether or not to put $1,300 more into the car to have the engine rebuilt.  Excellent decision to do it! (thanks Micah and Dad who gave me good advice!).  Made it to about 230,000 miles before a pin in the transmission sheared off, ending it all.  That little green car has been so faithful to me and then us!!  To list a few examples and to show a few photos from the FisherRhodes annals...
-countless times to Ohio and back, through the mountains of West Virginia--both before and after marrying my beautiful Betsy!  Here's a link to my blog at the time with a short video of a pit stop with the Kia in Germany Valley. (http://rhodesbrosinc.blogspot.com/2007/11/on-my-way-to-her.html)
-several trips to Rodanthe, NC
-many trips with Herman Pullin in the Waynesboro/Staunton regions
-fun times with Jeremy
-bringing little Soren safely home from the hospital
One of our first dates in the Kia, to Switzer Dam at sunset.  Who was holding the camera?  Yep, the Kia.
One of my favorite pics of me and Betsy, on our last date in the Kia before she heads off to REACH training.  I still have this pic in my wallet, well-worn.

A very cool shot taken by Rebekah out the Kia window on a drive to Ohio.

Kia at the head of a fleet of other cars at the brick house.  and Micah. :)
Friend of the Kia: good signage.  I actually took this photo enjoying the irony. :)


Good signage, part two.

Can you pick out our Kia in Harpers Ferry, WV earlier this year?  Look over by the yellow house.

Our Kia showing up Roger's wimpy little car: "I fart in your general direction!"

Strutting her stuff--car of the future, with so many great features--like tires and turning signals and seats and brakes and stuff!  Who needs A/C, power steering, anti-lock brakes, power windows, and all that jazz anyway?  Bunch of pansies!  (we will actually be paying less insurance on our "new" car because it has way more safety features than the Rio did. :).

One of the Kia's favorite stops on the way to and from Ohio!  And why not?  Below is what the car is pointed toward...
Yeah, Seneca Rocks is pretty awesome.  Trivia: did you know Betsy took rock climbing at EMU and climbed this at the end of the class?
And most recently, this is what Betsy does there.  The Kia gives her privacy to feed Soren while I snap pretty pictures.  :)

Our car was all about peacemaking and community peacebuilding, each year supporting mediation centers like our local Fairfield Center and others; also sported "love your enemies" and consistent pro-life ethic stickers along with a Jesus fish (the latter being on there when I purchased the car, actually).


Enjoyed helping Pooh, Micah, and I dumpster dive!  "Throw it in the trunk, boys, and let's run!"


A nice little camping trip in Fort Valley several years ago on the way to Baltimore for the weekend.


Teaching Jeremy how to drive a stick shift at Weavers Mennonite Church.

Presumably the bros who snazzed up our little car for the get-away.


Honeymooning in Maine!  Here we are just outside a nice little restaurant somewhere in New England.  See the tulips still fresh on the dash?

I've always liked this picture.  Taken somewhere in Acadia National Park.

My babe and her sexy car... I mean, a car with my sexy babe!

Wimpy machinery; I'll take you down!
Kia: "Me thinks this seems a strange (and perhaps smelly) place to park.  I'll pass...no, literally!"

Because one cannot resist taking pictures in a car sometimes...maybe boredom or who knows what else...

zooming, look at stuff whizzing by out there...we must be going our max speed...of about 56mph!  :)
Betsy heading off to school at George Mason last Fall.
Another pic from the hood of the Kia...on our way to pick up Diech and Abigail from the airport, coming home from their honeymoon in San Fran.

A picturesque evening drive with my faithful wife and car recently.

And lastly, one of our Kia's favorite places of all-time--Rodanthe, North Carolina.  There she is, tucked under the East Point Sea Esta several years ago with the bros, wives, and children.  Alas, we chose to borrow our parents' car instead of taking the Kia this summer.  Perhaps that's what finally broke her heart and her will to go on!

For those of you who haven't heard, this car died not 3 hours after I was handed the keys and the title to our "new" 1997 Honda Accord--unbelievable!  Praise God!

We really did love you to the end, Kia Rio, in spite of the betrayal you may have felt, and we look forward to seeing you again in heaven, where--no doubt--that's what we'll all be driving proudly (or humbly?) about!  Love,
Philip

5 comments:

Rebekah Luree said...

Ha! Who knew a car would be in so many pictures? I enjoyed the video and reminder of all the cars out back at 3039 - must've been a young adults meeting when the 4 of us lived there :). Good memories. RIP, little hard-to-steer Kia.

Anonymous said...

lovely tribute :) Carmen

Anonymous said...

Look for it at your favorite bookstore, Kias to the Kingdom, a new novel by PAF Rhodes.

Enjoyed your trip down memory lane!

Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I made a pun regarding scripture. I want to keep a special place in my heart for the Word.

Dad

TomCandice said...

Kias to the kingdom, BWAHHAHAHAH!!! :) Good one, Dad! Thunder Hole??? hahaha. Thanks for the multiple LOLs Philip. It was fun hearing all your memories. I imagine her sitting in the sun somewhere with all her doors and trunk open. Aaaah. Candice